The Rent House

The huge estates surrounding great houses, such as Adare Manor, would have been divided into farms and leased out to tenant farmers, who worked the land for their own sustenance and paid a rent to the landlord. Rent was generally collected twice a year on “Gale Days” in May and November until 1838 when a […]

The Fountain

The fountain is one of Adare’s central landmarks. It is situated near the Catholic Church and at the entrance to the burial ground. The fountain bears the inscription…‘Lord prosper thou our handiwork, in grateful memory of the zeal shown by the people of this village in quenching the fire at the offices of Adare Manor […]

“Adare: The Augustinian Friary and St Nicholas Church” by Barbara J Bingham, M.A.

The jewel-like Augustinian friary in Adare celebrated the 700th anniversary of its foundation in 2015. Established by the Anglo-Norman lord of the manor in 1315, the friary was home to the reforming order of Augustinian hermit friars. The Augustinians originated in thirteenth-century Italy, inspired by the simple monastic life laid down by the fifth-century bishop […]

Adare’s Turf Quay

It is planned to restore the quay as an amenity for the local community and for visitors, and as a living part of local heritage. Initial work will include the removal of a relatively small build-up of silt, mud and overgrowth. Then install a pontoon to allow safe access for canoes, kayaks and small craft […]

Parochial House

Stone parochial house with a wall mounted sundial on Main Street, Adare. History of the building to follow.

Geoffrey De Marisco & Adare

Adare was controlled by the O’Donovans prior to the arrival of the Normans. The first reference to Adare is in 1226 when Geoffrey De Marisco, an Anglo-Norman lord, received a grant from King Henry 3rd to hold a Fair annually at his Manor of Adare during the eight days following the Feast of St. James. […]

The River Maigue

There was some work carried out to improve the river as far back as 1720 but it doesn’t ever seem to have been a very important navigation. Inland Navigation did some work from 1815 onwards, installing an opening bridge on the coast road (now the N69) at Ferrybridge, between Clarina and Kildimo. The river never […]

Adare Manor House

Adare Manor  was the former seat of the Earls of Dunraven. The house was built in the early 19th century and retained some of the walls of the 17th-century structure. It is now a luxury resort hotel. The original house was a “calendar house”, which means a house that architecturally contains quantities that represent the […]

Adare Courthouse

Adare Courthouse, a two-storey building constructed of cut stone limestone walls and a pitched slate roof with cut limestone copings and cut limestone chimney stacks was built in 1863. It is also thought to have been a Bridewell, where prisoners were held for short terms. It has not been used as a courthouse for many […]

Christian Brothers School

The Christian Brothers School, built of local limestone is situated on the Rathkeale Road. It was originally a Fever Hospital and later converted into a school. It was given to the Christian Brothers by the 3rd Earl of Dunraven in 1853 and has played a very important role in the education of the young boys […]